Tuesday, April 03, 2018

I Quit Buying Lottery Tickets

I never bought too many of them. But it's kinda fun thinking about what to do with all that money when the jackpots get over $100,000,000.
We were having some post run food and fellowship at Christina's house one time, when Paul asked me, "Don, what would you do differently if you won that much money?" He had a point.

We get to decide how we want to live our lives. My choice is to stay in shape, and collect experiences rather than "stuff." So having tons of money wouldn't mean driving fancy cars or buying a huge house or something. I do take trips frequently, but really enjoy being frugal when I'm doing that. Road tripping with an occasional night spent in my car. Marathons, mountain hikes, microbreweries, hanging out with friends. Doesn't have to be expensive. When all I'm doing is sleeping, an inexpensive bed is as good as a fancy hotel.

Life is pretty abundant already. Enough to eat. Enough to wear. A warm place to sleep. I'm pretty happy with what I have. So when the jackpot got to half a billion last week, I wasn't even thinking about it much.

But in the case of a hypothetical win--I'd do more charity work. I'd hire a couple people to help putting on marathons. Maybe a personal trainer. But I'd try really hard not to complicate my life any more.

I answered Paul when he asked the question: "I'd sit in First Class a lot more often."


No comments: