Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mommie's Carrot Bread Recipe

Hah!  I found it in an old scrapbook!  This is a family tradition that Mommie (Pronounced "Mummy"), my great-grandmother Gladys Fults, always brought to family functions:

2 eggs
1C. White Sugar
3/4 C Mazola
1 1/2 C Carrots grated
1 1/2 C. Sifted flour
1 t Soda
1 t Cinnamon
1/4 t Salt
1/4 C Chopped Nuts
1/2 t Vanilla

That's it.  No mention of a temperature or time on the sheet.  I'm going to go with 400 degrees for 20 minutes and see where it gets me.

Most of the time, I believe she used black walnuts that she gathered from the two trees in the front yard and spent HOURS picking the meats out of.  She baked it in little loaves.  We spread margarine on it, since back in that day people in my family hadn't decided they could afford butter.

Don't know that anyone in the family has made carrot bread since Mommie died back in 1971.  Time to restart the tradition, I think.

Gladys (Dean) Fults -- Ilene (Fults) Cramer -- Julaine (Cramer) Kern -- Me.


1 comment:

Pam said...

350 for 1 hr. Found a recipe. This sounds so yummy. I may have to try make it.