Thursday, December 08, 2011

Post Race - 1-2 December 2011

I think about the places I've been the last few weeks. Crossed the Atlantic 3 times, the Pacific once. I've circumnavigated the globe. USA-Canada-South Africa-Switzerland-Ireland-USA-Brazil-Germany-Japan-Australia-New Zealand-USA-Mexico-Chile-Antarctica. A couple hundred hours of travel. Almost 50 hours of running.

In 2006 I first hatched the idea to complete this world record. In 2007, in 35 days I smashed previous record of 99 days, but Richard Takata denied me the record by doing it in just under 30. He held that record until today. In late 2007, I was on schedule for 25 days, but we were delayed by eight days coming to Antarctica. My friend Bob Camp put it in perspective: "I don't feel sorry for you. You got to travel around the world twice in a year, and now you have an excuse to do it again!" Love ya, Bob! Finally, on 1 December 2011, more than five years after the goal was first conceived, the mission is accomplished. Another few days and I'll be home, back among my friends and my loved ones. Home is what makes the journey complete.

As the night went on, everyone drifted off to their various tents.  I was still pretty pumped, so going to bed wasn't anything that happened very early.  The guys who were getting ready to run the next morning though, were trying to get really rested up!  100K to run!

Of course, Brent was involved in this one.  He's one of those guys who travels the world finding extreme things to do.  What I like about him is that he makes me look tame.  Richard, meanwhile, intends to run 100 miles in honor of the 100th anniversary of Amundsen and Scott reaching the South Pole in 1911. Clement Thevenet, the Belgian who just finished winning the marathon, is heading out again.  And Marc de Keyser, the weather man here at Union Glacier will be joining in as well.  Marc runs this event every year.

As the day progressed, some of the marathoners from the day before would go out for a 25K loop (NOT ME!) for a little extra support.  I stayed up until about 2:00 a.m. to make sure that Brent got finished and had something to eat.  About 5 hours later Andrew came in.  Now Richard was the only one out there, and in just over 24 hours he finished running 100 miles!

It was a great adventure, with a 100% success rate.  Everyone did what they set out to do.  And then we got the word.  The flight was on the way from Punta Arenas, and we'd be heading back to Punta Arenas on schedule as well.

At about 9:00 p.m. we were loaded on a big sled and hauled out to the runway.  By 5:00 a.m. we were back to the Diego d'Almagro Hotel in Punta Arenas.  After about three hours of sleep, I got on the phone and moved my flights from Monday back to Sunday, shared a taxi with my tentmate Ray to the airport and was on my way HOME!  One more night sleeping on airplanes.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again, congratulations from Grand Rapids, Michigan. I loved reading all about your adventures all over the world. I have one request and that is: If you took any pictures, would you please share them. I can only imagine how beautiful the places you have been are and i'd love to see any photos of them. So....pictures if possible and then your blog will be complete!!!