Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Books

I'm cleaning up my office a little bit this afternoon and just reorganized my bookshelves a little bit.
I have a few books that are almost "theme books" of my life. The books that influenced my thoughts, inspired me, brought back great memories. Some were gifts. A few are autographed. Looking through them I'm smiling, remembering the joy they gave me. Just a few--in no special order.

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. It's a great story that includes a lot of education on the history of philosophy. My sister in law Myra gave it to me when we were visiting them over in Norway back in 1996.

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill and The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason. Two of the books that influenced my thinking on finance back in my 20s. I've given away many copies of RMIB over the years. I think it's the best money management book out there.

Several different versions of the Bible. The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Leather-bound editions of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. A Brief History of Time and a couple others by Stephen Hawking.

I played a bunch of chess back at Chippewa Hills High School. I recently reacquired Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess, one of my favorites back then. Dan Manning found a copy of Fischer Spassky The New York Times Report on The Chess Match Of The Century, which he bought used on Amazon and sent to me.

Several by Kurt Vonnegut, Dan Brown, Jim Harrison.

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams. The whole series occupied my winter back around 2010. Fun.

Fox in Sox, a Dr. Seuss classic that I read many, many times to my kids, grandkids, and anyone else I could make sit still long enough. The Little Red Hen, a book my Grandma 'Lene read to me many times.

The score of Handel's Messiah that I sang my first year at CMU.

My life is rich. With humor, learning, fitness, friends. The books that have influenced my life continue to bring me joy.





No comments: