Friday, April 06, 2018

Facebook is using my data!

OMG. WTF. OAIDU*

One time I accidentally posted some information about myself on Facebook. No wait. That didn't happen.

I "Googled" something and then saw ads on every subsequent site I visited. What a coincidence. I wonder how Yahoo Finance knows I buy Ex Officio underwear. (aside--Don't go searching for a dildo online. Unless you want to be one.)

We use Gmail too. That's Google. So is Blogger. Literally sending all of our communication through their servers. Apple and Microsoft too--I wonder if they're collecting information about me through their operating systems that can be used to target me for advertising.

Most people don't really care, I think. The current generation scans all their groceries, then puts their credit card in the slot, allowing the store to instantly associate your name with what you like to buy, and make a decision what kind of coupon to print out with your receipt.

I'm drinking coffee I bought using my Starbucks app. I get free refills that way. You think they know that I've never once ordered an iced cinnamon almond milk macchiato? I'm betting they do. They'll probably try to sell me one this afternoon.

Cookies (the computer kind, not the Girl Scout kind) have been around for almost as long as the Internet. You knew that, right? "They" track us whenever we do something. We just need to be aware of what's going on. Pay cash once in a while if you don't want everybody to know everything. Don't publish naked pictures of yourself. Don't say stuff you don't want the government to know. Or Google or Facebook or Starbucks.

#deletefacebookmyass #maybemovetoacaveinkentuckyorsomething


*Other Acronyms I Don't Understand

No comments: