Monday, November 21, 2011

Fear

Every adventure comes with a little fear.  Not knowing what will happen, if you're up to the task, will everything happen on time?

I've had my share of that this time.  After running a strong marathon just over a week ago, I was having enough knee pain all week that I didn't run a step between marathons.  It wasn't until Saturday that my knee felt good enough to know that I would be OK.  I wore a neoprene sleeve over it for extra support on Sunday.  Now, a day later after being on a plane all night, both knees are feeling great.

My biggest fright came on Saturday, after I had sent a message to my contact in Japan asking for some information.  The entry form I sent in the first part of August never hit his email, so he didn't even know I was coming.  I was supposed to report to the trouble desk to pay when I got there, and just figured I was all set.

He told me to send it in again immediately, but right after that he mentioned that the entry period had ended.  I sent it to him again through two different email services just in case, but since it was already the weekend there, he didn't respond.  I tried calling, but of course the office was closed.

So, with my mission in question, it was weighing on my mind all weekend.  Distracting me as I ran in Curitiba.  Keeping me awake on the plane for a while.  Finally, at the Frankfort airport I got email from him, letting me know that we're good!  So, by the time most of you get up on Wednesday, I'll have finished the marathon in Fukuchiyama.

The last time I felt this relieved was October 31, 2004.  That was when the starting gun went off and the first Grand Rapids Marathon.

I'm sure there will be a couple more moments before I get done with it, but for now, everything is on schedule. 

No comments: